Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Default wierd noise

Hey Guys!

Hope all is well. Im getting a weird noise from my civic. Ill try my very best to describe it here and maybe you guys can guide me in the right direction.

Little info of the car.

99 honda civic lx 4 door. Manual . 160k miles on it. (2nd or 3rd owner - dont remember) , Stock clutch (i think)

im getting a noise when im rolling. the best way i can describe it that it almost sounds like its a bad bearing. As i describe the noise further, i think we can rule out the bearing. I tried to record it but my phone could not pick up the sound.

its best heard at about 50-60 mph when in gear. If i roll at that speed in neutral the sound goes away. also, i have noticed that when in gear, the sounds is much louder when NOT under load (not giving it gas, just rolling in gear). the sound is very similar to a bad bearing but a lil more "thump" (if that makes sense)

the sounds gets faster as the speed goes up untill it kinda fades and i dont really notice it.

if im rolling at that speeds and put it in natural and rev the motor, no noise is heard.

I have feeling it could the flywheel when engaged to the tranny, the clutch, something in the tranny itself, the motor mounts or any other thing that im not familiar with...

my buddy mentioned that it could be the motor mounts? (maybe the tranny mount in the back i think?) maybe when in gear and not giving it gas its causing a vibration on that mount or the others? I haven't looked under just yet but it sounds like it could be a possibility?

Im sorry for the super noob questions but i was hoping someone smarter than me here on the forums could guide me before checking it with the mechanic.

If there's any questions that i might answer that could help determine where this noise is coming from, please let me kno!

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ErSlickvic
something in the tranny itself,
from what you desribed.. i think you already know the issue.. some internal bearing