New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

knocking noise from front of car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Default knocking noise from front of car

just bought 2 year old civic type r. when stationary and you turn steering wheel you can hear a knocking noise from the front of car. honda garage says its shock absorbors, its been lowered very slightly, they say its normal and not a prob. i dont beleive this. Am i wrong.......

Old 05-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Default RE: knocking noise from front of car

Can you localized it in the suspension? If you think it's going from within the engine bay, it's possible it could be your power steering too. A lot of times when you turn the wheel as far as it'll go, it'll make a bumping/knocking sound.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

when does the noise happen exactly. only at the end of sterring (when it hits the locks)? or thru the turning or of the wheel evry now and then randomly? or my like a clock, tick tick ticking, as you turn the wheel? what type of steering do you have? manual? or power? only when sitting still you said, right? what if you uncompress the suspension? still does it? jack the front end off the ground just enough for the tires to clear and then turn the wheel. if it still does go under the car and somebody else turn the wheel. it may be as simple as break line tapping on a spring, or as bad as a broken strut mount, but please give us more information to work with

Old 05-08-2005, 02:05 PM

OK, let's think this through. Does it makes sense for the suspension to be knocking rhythmically with the engine when the car's not moving? Not really.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

gimme a break kappa. just eliminating, so we can scratch that one, just because it doesnt make sense does not mean its not possible, for example if he has a bad gear in r&p it woulkd make that noise everytime in same spot and if hes turning the wheel at the same speed it is now a rythmic sound. ( i know im reaching real far, but hey, it could happen)

ummm.... when exactly did i say anything of the sort. i never even mentioned a running engine at all. let alone a rythmic association from engine and suspension, you misread me kappa.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:37 PM

I'm talking about the suspension, not the steering.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

your words dude "turn the steering wheel", so yuo'll have to excuse me for misunderstanding, your question a little misleading.
why exactly are you stationary turning the s wheel anyway?
ORIGINAL: rupes33

just bought 2 year old civic type r. when stationary and you turn steering wheel you can hear a knocking noise from the front of car. honda garage says its shock absorbors, its been lowered very slightly, they say its normal and not a prob. i dont beleive this. Am i wrong.......

Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 PM

sound similar to what im having to. When i turn my wheel toward the right it is making that shreeking sound. I upgrade my tire to 204/40/17 and also did alignment. I recently been getting that shreeking sound and i dont know where its coming except i know that its coming from my left wheel when i start to turn to the right. After that there is no more sound.