Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Before I Lower

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
HCF Member
Default Before I Lower

Ok so I have a ej2 and i want to buy either Skunk2 or Tien lowering springs. I only plan on lowering the car 1.5-1.75 inches but i would like to know 1) if a spring compactor is the only special tool i need 2) If ill need an alignment afterwards 3)will i need camber and if i do would it be ok to roll around without messing with the camber because i want to lower it really bad but i dont have the money to buy quality camber kits right away. thx

Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

A spring compressor and basic hand tools is all you should need, assuming you don't run into problems with the rear LCA bolts being seized. You will 100% most definitely need an alignment afterward, but wait a week or two for the springs to settle before getting everything aligned. I promise you won't destroy your tires in that week or two. And also, don't worry yourself over a little negative camber; as long as the toe is set back to factory specs, you won't go through tires any faster.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
HCF Member
Default I can breathe easy now

Originally Posted by reaper2022
A spring compressor and basic hand tools is all you should need, assuming you don't run into problems with the rear LCA bolts being seized. You will 100% most definitely need an alignment afterward, but wait a week or two for the springs to settle before getting everything aligned. I promise you won't destroy your tires in that week or two. And also, don't worry yourself over a little negative camber; as long as the toe is set back to factory specs, you won't go through tires any faster.
Thanks a bunch Reaper that makes me feel so much better just to hear someone say that... I just was worried i would get in over my head... and my truck has a solid rear axle (so i didnt have to worry bout camber) and the front was spindles and springs that were made to be together so the camber was adjusted for in the spindles... ahh i love that truck.
thx again

Old 09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin

No problem... changing out the springs isn't too hard. The hardest part is putting the struts back together in the right order (and getting the rear struts back on... that's a PITA lining up the lca with the shock and getting everything bolted together).

Honestly, if I were you, before I even started, I'd spend the extra $40 or $50 and get polyurethane rear shock mount and rear LCA bushing sets. Also, getting brand new replacement bolts wouldn't hurt either (another $30 or so from honda). You might not like the idea of spending an extra $100 at first, but trust me, if one of the bolts on the rear LCA is seized up, you'll be thanking God you have a new bolt and bushing, because you'll need it. And if you don't have any problems with the bolts seizing, you'll have nice new bolts and poly bushings .

Also, I'd advise you start with the rear springs first. That way, you get the hard part out of the way early. The front springs won't take long at all, I changed out a shock by myself with basic hand tools in less than an hour, and the car in question sat all of 4" off the ground, so it took a good 10 minutes just to get the thing jacked up lol.

*edit: live axles ftl lol... every time I hit a bump in the mustang, it feels like I have no rear suspension at all lol

Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
*edit: live axles ftl lol... every time I hit a bump in the mustang, it feels like I have no rear suspension at all lol
yeah what im saying is that its not independent rear suspetion

Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 AM

yeh u dnt have to change the camber kit or anything, i dropped my car about 2" and i only put tein coil overs and changed the rear shocks as they were finished and put kyb shocks instead...no problems whatsoever going over any speed bumps

Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lilgreencivic
I only plan on lowering the car 1.5-1.75 inches
That's a perfect drop in my opinion. That's what I did with the Eibachs; my hatch looks great and I can fly over parking lot entrances and driveways without any scraping.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
That's a perfect drop in my opinion. That's what I did with the Eibachs; my hatch looks great and I can fly over parking lot entrances and driveways without any scraping.
thats EXACTLY what im going for! but now its getting cold out i think what im planning on doing is buying all the parts during winter and then doing it all in spring. the front should be rly ez cause i have an extra set of shocks and springs in my basement so i can assemble them as soon as i get the parts.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you get snow in your area id suggest getting some good coilovers like ground controls...
i love mine! coilovers FTW because you can adjust them really easily and drop the car exactly where you want it!!!!!!!! and in the winter just crank up the perches and be close to stock height again for max ground clearance, and in the spring crank em back down.
you cannt go wrong!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
if you get snow in your area id suggest getting some good coilovers like ground controls...
i love mine! coilovers FTW because you can adjust them really easily and drop the car exactly where you want it!!!!!!!! and in the winter just crank up the perches and be close to stock height again for max ground clearance, and in the spring crank em back down.
you cannt go wrong!
Coilovers ftw!!