Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brakes locked up...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Default RE: Brakes locked up...HELP

I was giving it my all, but I'll try again. Couldn't find my mallet or I woulda used that. I still tried hitting it off with a crowbar. I also sprayed it up with some kind of spastic brand of WD40 type fluid that's supposed to work wonders. No effect. I checked the brake fluid, it's ok. I just can't believe that in only 5 or 6 weeks of not driving it, this happened. I never had a problem with that wheel before.

But there's a strange coincidence here. When I parked my other car (a '72 Super Beetle) in the same spot on the driveway, the same passenger side rear wheel locked up once in a while. Felt like I was going over a bump when I'd back up, but then it would break right free and I'd be on my way. I think my driveway is cursed.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ICBM
I also sprayed it up with some kind of spastic brand of WD40 type fluid that's supposed to work wonders.
Please don't tell us you sprayed WD40 into your brake drum and on the shoes. That's just plain nasty!

Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 PM
mxs
HCF Member

OK, first of all:

disc brake,
[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/8EC76885316A444BBD7352D0042D52D3.jpg[/IMG]

drum brake.
[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/DAD2458876EF45C5A68062A7535F45DE.jpg[/IMG]

Second, when you say you can't get "it" off, you mean the whole wheel won't come off? or the drum??

Third, if you DID spray WD-40 inside/around your brakes, you better clean them off with brake cleaner when you are done. Otherwise, you will be having the opposite of the problem you are having now!!

Old 08-16-2005, 10:50 PM
HCF Member

take the lug nuts off, then kick the edge of the tire, that usually breaks a stubborn one free.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the pics. It's a drum brake then.

It's the whole wheel I can't get off.

I didn't spray WD40 on it, but I guess it's something similar.

ngoti8tor: I'm not overly concerned. This car is just plain nasty.

I'll use brake cleaner on it if I can get it rolling before friday morning. If not, it's going to the crushers. This car is a beater in every way and has been a curse on my wallet since I bought it a year and a half ago.

This car has a problem starting up in day light. (I'm serious, it used to only start up at night.)
The open hatch light is always on.
Both bumpers are hanging on for dear life.
The roof leaks when it rains heavily.
The clutch squeaks really loud. (And it's easy to hear because there's no radio.)
The windsield wiper fluid overshoots the car by about 5 feet. (Great for messing with people at drive-thrus.)
The back seat is ripped to shreds because of an unwarranted police search. (Not even a sorry when they didn't find anything!)
And now it doesn't roll...
The only good thing is that the damned seatbelt beeper died.

Anyway, I'll try to get it off again tonite. Thanks everyone for your help.