Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

increase suspension height

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Default increase suspension height

Hello everyone,I have the latest generation civic AT with paddle shift.I want to know how I can increase the suspension height(ground clearance) of my car as there are too many potholes on the road where I live.There undercarriage of the car gets scraped everytime i go over a bump or into a pothole.Speed is not an issue for me because roads are too congested to drive fast.Any suggestions would make my day,thank you.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: increase suspension height

You could try adjustable coilovers, taller springs, stiffer springs, coil-top spacers, altered bracketry,in-coil airbags by AirLift, and/ortaller tires. The suspension liftsmight require some camber adjustment though. You could also try shaving weight from the car, adding firmer shocks, and driving extremely slow.

You can even use the offroaders' trick of carefully placing your tires at the highest points in the road to maximize your clearance.

Also check to make sure that loose parts aren't hanging any lower than they're supposed to. You could just have bad exhaust mounts causing your muffler to drag or something. Try to figure out where on the undercarriage is scraping and see if that can be moved up. Sometimes it's something as simple as trimming abolt...like the crazy-long U-bolts that come with some new leafspring suspension lifts. I cut over 2" off the last new U-bolts I installed, which also saved them from being TORN off the undercarriage. Those things hung down like talons.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think coilovers would make things worse... most of the setups I've seen have likea 1/2" drop at their highest setting.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your roads are that bad.... id sugest a truck/suv.... cause if your scraping and you cannt steer around these crader holes then id ditch the lower car and just buy something with more ground clearance...

i mean these cars look bad enough at stock height in my new opinion

lifting them... OUCH...

BUT if you REALY REALY want to LIFT the car up... well very posible but NOT something you can just buy plus not to mention your alignment might not be able to be corrected!

BUT if you want to lift the car your easiest way would be pulling the struts and extending the upper mounts... by cutting out the mounting bolts and using some steel spacers with your desired lift like 1-3inches... then drill holes in the exact spots on those mounts and just use longer bolts and nuts to secure the struts again..
BUT AGAIN..... ALIGNMENT IS A HUGE ISSUE IF THEY WILL BE ABLE TO CORRECT IT BY JUST ADJUSTING IT!!!!!!!!!! YOUR CAMBER WILL DEFINATLY BE THROWN OFF AND im not sure if the skunk camber kit will allow enough to shorten them over stock... but front... NO CLUE.
again i wouldnt sugest it.. BUT it can be done but the cost of it AND THE LOOKS OF IT... YUCK/OUCH!!!!
just get a small SUV like hondas what... um crv or ridgeline...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 AM

can 100% guarantee, lifting your car, or changing it, if it's brand new, will void any and all warranty

Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 PM

How'd you get a Civic with a paddle shift? They don't make them.