Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

my axle boot broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:59 AM
HCF Member
Default my axle boot broke

Hey guys and girls.
My axle boot broke and spill grease all over my wheels[:'(]. Anyways, do i just need to replace the boot only or should a just get a new axle? The reason i'm asking is that my car has been making a cluttering sound (ever since i installed my turbo) and i think the sound might be related? However, when i'm inside the car, I pretty sure it's coming from the driver side.. I think... but my axle boot that brooke is the passenger side.

some pics

Name:  0929071251a.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  0929071251.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  0929071250.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  55.1 KB

Old 09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: my axle boot broke

I looked into this before for someone and alot of people say to replace the axle unless its pretty new. But here is a little write up I had on it from google.
The CV boot protects both the inner and outer portions of the CV joint and keeps away water, pebbles, and other road dirt from entering into and damaging it. The inner CV joint controls changes in suspension and ride height, while the outer one provides even torque transfer. So when the boot is ripped or cracked, the lubricant inside it could spread and mix with the dirt, damage the joint even more, and affect steering and suspension. Damage to the CV boot leads to damage to the CV joint, sooner or later.[/align]It is therefore wise to attend to the littlest sign of defect in the CV boot immediately. Doing so could save you money because the CV joint is much more expensive to replace. You will know that something is wrong with your CV boot when you hear of a clicking sound while your wheels are turning and feel a shudder while you are accelerating or decelerating. Replacement CV boots and joints are readily available in stores and you may want do the job yourself if you want to save money. Some car owners find it more practical to replace their CV axles along with their CV boots. You should consider it, too, after calculating the costs.[/align]

Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info mill$civic...

I decided to replaced my whole axle instead... it was pretty cheap.. 71 for a new one[8D].

Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gsumano

Thanks for the info mill$civic...

I decided to replaced my whole axle instead... it was pretty cheap.. 71 for a new one[8D].
good choice...repacking and messing with that grease is a biatch, and new axles aren't THAT much. I just replaced both of mine that had had open boots for about a year now (yes they were clanking up a storm). Good luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:37 PM

Haha, welcome to owning a turbo Honda.

I've broken 3 now, they're a pain in the *** but you really only have to replace the boot.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

Haha, welcome to owning a turbo Honda.

I've broken 3 now, they're a pain in the *** but you really only have to replace the boot.
This is true, but only if you check them regularly. If you don't, you don't know when it happened and it could already be contaminated to the point of long term failure.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you could just upgrade the axles hahaha, replacements are cheap if you dont mind replacing them every now and then

Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

you could just upgrade the axles hahaha, replacements are cheap if you dont mind replacing them every now and then
Hey riceburner, what are some brand names of some good axles????

I might replace the driver's side this weekend since i'm quite positive that is the source of my cluttering noice[:'(].

Also, I might just buy a new boot and fix my old axle, do they need any type of special grease?? or just any ordinary car grease would do?

thanks guys.