Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear noises from my TEg

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
HCF Member
Default Rear noises from my TEg

I'm posting this thread as an informative post, just because some of you guys may experience the same sometime:

My 98 GS coupe started making a metal-on-metal noise today and i tried researching previous posts, but the problem is different from anything I found.

A scraping noise starts immediately after driving away and continues through highway speeds. The noise appears to come from the rear driver side wheel area.

I thought it was the brake pads, so I tried test braking but the noise stayed the same.

then i put the car in reverse, and the metal-on-metal noise actually turned into a loud vibration/hum. The best way I can describe it is its like foghorn sound (almost) that increased in loudness as i increased reverse speed.

I've read that it could be the dust brake covers or brake pad indicators but wouldn't the noise sound the same going front or rear?

AND HERE'S HOW IT GOT FIXED:

UPDATE: the culprit was the brake wear indicators but it wasn't worn out brake pads.

somehow the brake caliper pot was stuck fully out, clamping down on my bake rotor continuously. this caused the brake pad to wear down and the brake wear indicator to eventually start screeching.

it sounded worse going into reverse because the grooves on the brake rotor was grained going forward.

to make a long story shorter, my dad initially told me to get a new brake caliper and new pads. but he managed to get the brake caliper pot unstuck by screwing it back in with a special tool that looked like a giant flathead screwdriver extension for his socket wrench.

a few twists on the grooved brake caliper pot and it seated back in properly. we still replaced the brake pads on both rear wheels though.

the rear is now quiet again and my wallet only took a $15 hit for brake pads and brake pad silencer grease. I still bought the replacment caliper and will keep it for a week, just in case the noise comes back.