Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Springs or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member
Default Springs or Coilovers?

I'm about to make my 1st ever suspension mod, and in advance please excuse the noobish question. What is the difference between springs on coilovers? Is one better than the other? I want to lower my car at least 1.5 inches. Is this a noticible difference compared to the stock height or should I drop more?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Springs or Coilovers?

bump

Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

ive never done any suspension mods but im pretty sure the difference between springs and coilovers is that springs are non adjustable and coil overs are adjustable to different heights not sure though

Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ dead-on. Coilovers are adjustable; with most of them, you can select any height between about a 1/2" drop down to a 4" drop. For the most part, coilovers are a lot more expensive than just springs (even if you just get coilover sleeves... I'll get into what that means later on), but well worth it, especially if you live in a climate where you have a good bit of snow in the winter; this way, you can slam the car in the summer and raise it back up to drive in the winter. And a 1.5" drop is definitely noticeable, and it's a good amount to drop a car. With my Ground Controls, I'm rockin' about a 2.5" drop with no problems (a little rubbing, but only if I hit a bigbump going around a turn). Now, what did I mean earlier about coilover sleeves? Coilovers basically come in two forms: complete coilovers and coilover sleeves. Complete coilovers run around $1100+ for a good set, and include everything you need (springs, struts, etc.). Sleeves cost around $300 or so for a good set, and just include the spring and adjustable perch. The downside to complete coilovers is that if you blow a shock, you need to buy an entire coilover assembly to replace it; with sleeves, if you blow a shock, no problem... you replace it like you would with stock springs. Overally, I'd say coilover sleeves are the best thing you can get for a DD, along with a good set of adjustable shocks. If you're more into autocrossing, maybe consider investing in a good set of complete coilovers.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

Thanks guys, I'mdefinetely gonna buy some coilovers then. Is installing coilovers easy? If someone can point my toward a DIY for coilovers that would be awesome.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin

no probs... I'd recommend Ground Control coilovers... I've heard good things about Skunk2's, too... I have a DIY somewhere around here, I just need to find it... I'll post up a link if I do (or maybe I'll get bored and re-type it... either way, I'll have a DIY for you today sometime)

And, yes.. it's easy... just frustrating (your rear LCA bolts are probably going to need to be replaced)

Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

Sweet thanks....and also, to install them do you have to uselifting eqiupment like they have at shops (that lift the whole car off the ground)or did you justuse like a simple jack to do the install?

Old 08-18-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/vi...pg=ekcoilovers <-------DIY

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Ok, I'm glad you got a diy link up, 'cause I ended up putting strobes in my friend's headlights ('99 Merc. Cougar... it's actually not a bad car) so I didn't get around to finding my diy/re-typing it... and you can use just regular jacks. It's what I did (and just so you know, I had access to air tools and ended up only using them to take the wheels off... it's just too cramped in the wheel wells to use air tools effectively)

EDIT: found the link where I posted my DIY.. it's not much (I just did a general thing to help someone out), but it works.