Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help, stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Help, stereo problems

Well, mystereo is starting to really **** me off. I don't really know whats wrong, but when my car is stationary or moving (butworse while stationary), and my stereo is on 1-12 volume (35 max), my stereo has a pulse, and makes the music sound like crap. When I say my stereo has a pulse, I mean my subwoofer makes a thumping noise and has no realconnection to the music being played.I don't know what it could be, but it makes me mad. And when I turn off the stereo, there is a loud thump from the subwoofer and speakers. This makes me think it's the amp but I'm not sure. I dont know a lot about stereos, but I think something may be wired wrong with the amp.

Any ideas?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help, stereo problems

im really thinking its the ground wire on the amp....either redo the ground or get an ground loop isolator,i could be wrong but im pretty sure thats the problem cause i had kinda the same thing.Where is your ground wire at and it is ALL the way on bare metal???

Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

I don't know anything about it. lol

The system was installed a long time ago. I have a recpeit from the previous owner that says my 15" dr. crankenstein woofer and custom sub box were installed in 1996. I havent checked the wires yet though. I dont want to screw anything up by messing with it lol. I don't know when the amp was installed, because I don't have the recpeit for it. It's a pioneer premier btw.
My 11 year old setup pumps pretty good for todays standards, and still scares people I give rides to. No one really expects it when I turn it up all the way.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

well you will find a black wire coming from the amp...thats the ground,you need to follow that wire and see where it goes then unscrew it and see if its dirty under it or anything like that.If it is dirty or not on bare metal you need to make sure it is with something.If its not a clean connection your gonna have what your having now thats why im pretty sure thats what the problem is.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes since it worked before it's likely something just came loose. If the ground is OK the next thing to try would be to unplug the RCA plug from the input of the subwoofer amp. If it still does it then the amp could be defective.