General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Stuck Tranny Fluid Bolt

Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Stuck Tranny Fluid Bolt

ORIGINAL: Type RB

He's right -
Dude, MXS is a girl. LOL

Old 12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well from what ive heard NEVER have a tranny flushed out!!!!! just drain the fluid by gravity and refill....

from what ive heard when you flush a tranny that uses pressure to flush the lines which does break loose alot of internal gunk thru the tranny body BUT the tranny has internal screens/filters inside the tranny and if you have to much gunk forced loose and broken loose that gets caught in the screens which basicaly makes your tranny fail EVEN QUICKER!!!!!! cause it clogs the lines....
and ive heard thier from quite a few people and even afew shops including a tranny shop.
do dont have the system flushed.... only drained and refilled!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

ORIGINAL: Type RB

He's right -
Dude, MXS is a girl. LOL
Good to know. (Like I can tell from an avatar... )

Edit - Well, Hey - someone actually took the time to fill out their profile. Didn't see that coming since most people (especially girls) in places like thistend to actually not fill them out. Thanks for the info, and my apologies for assuming, mxs. (I seem to be doing a lot of that today)

Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well from what ive heard NEVER have a tranny flushed out!!!!! just drain the fluid by gravity and refill....

from what ive heard when you flush a tranny that uses pressure to flush the lines which does break loose alot of internal gunk thru the tranny body BUT the tranny has internal screens/filters inside the tranny and if you have to much gunk forced loose and broken loose that gets caught in the screens which basicaly makes your tranny fail EVEN QUICKER!!!!!! cause it clogs the lines....
and ive heard thier from quite a few people and even afew shops including a tranny shop.
do dont have the system flushed.... only drained and refilled!
I understand the apprehension, but when I had my Mom's '85 Sentra automatic transaxle apart (which I'm guessing is not all that much unlike a Honda automatic), there were no additional 'filters and screens' anywhere in the valve body. There are lots of small and taperingpassageways (that help build pressure) with check-***** (most of them about the size of a BB), and a few areas that could feasibly become clogged with gunk.

But the way an automatic transmission works is basically like this: When the car is running, the pump is driven by the input shaft of the tranny connected to the torque converter. The fluid is drawn from the bottom area of the pan, through the filter, through the valve body and other transmission components, and leaks back down into the pan, where the funk, shavings, and other foreign materials collect, picked up by the magnet on the pan, or blocked by the filter from being sucked back in. At some point in the system (varies from model to model) the fluid is pushed through a line to the transmission cooler, cooled, and flows back to the transmission where it either returns into the transmission system or leaks back down to the pan.

When they pull a tranny line and change the fluid in that manner, they either use low-pressure to move the fluid, or have the car running - moving the fluid underthe car'sown pressure, which won't run the danger of over-pressuring and/or breaking stuff loose. You run a greater chance of 'busting something loose'because ofover-pressure by revving the engine up towards redline, than what a lube shop would use to move fluid through your system.

It's a matter of personal preference, and I'm not recommending anybody have it done in favor of the usual'drain, change the filter, andrefill' method. But if someone wants to go to all the hassle of making ALL of the fluid gets changed, that's the easiest way to do it. Because'drain, change the filter, andrefill' doesn't get the fluid in the torque converter, servo, transmission cooler and lines, and other nook & crannies gravity can't get. When the new fluid is refilled, it'll mix with the rest of the old fluid, and when it's dumped, there will still be some remnants of the old fluid still in there, just diluted with new. It'll take several procedures to ensure ALL of the fluid is changed, or the old stuff that remains is diluted to where there are no more traces of it.

The originator said they wanted ALL the fluid changed. Having it replaced through the tranny lines is the easiest way to do it, is all I'm saying.

Personally, I've had it done on three different vehicles now and wouldn't recommend it because of crappy technicians. The first one blew its transmission after several hundred miles because the lineconnector failedsince the technician re-installed it improperly. The second one did fine, except now that connector seeps just enough fluid to leave a drop or two on the pavement over several hours during the warm parts of the year - and the jerk scratched my fender with his big-*** belt buckle as well. So far, so good on the third vehicle - it was done just before my wife drove her '01 Grand Prix roughly 3500 miles on vacation back east to visit her family this past fall.

Sorry for the novel - I'm rambling again.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM

As you can see, the tranny bolt is a little 'rounded out' - Dealer wants $10.00 for replacement, any idea where I can find one on-line?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: csc67

As you can see, the tranny bolt is a little 'rounded out' - Dealer wants $10.00 for replacement, any idea where I can find one on-line?

Thanks
bring the bolt to any nearby hardware store, ask someone to help you and get the bolt for like .60 lol