General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
HCF Member
Cool Tranny rebuild

OK guys, looking for some advice here...
I'm fairly sure that the unsettling noise coming from the tranny is my TOS bearing (thanks Trust). My tax return needs to go a long way this year with a baby on the way, but I do plan on getting this taken care of.
This is where my dilema comes in. I really don't want to buy a rebuilt one for price reasons, and I really don't want to take it to someone to have it rebuild, because of the downtime this would involve. I have noticed at the local pull n pay that junked Honda trannies are pretty easy to come by around here (Denver), but I would worry about them having the same problem, if not something worse. Last night over beers with my partner in crime(and the occasional Civic v Civic race), I decided that the ideal solution would be to buy a pull n save transmission($199), take my sweet time rebuilding it in the garage(with the added benefit of an intimate understanding of my transmission), and then take it to my mechanic and have him swap it in, along with a new clutch, hopefully in an afternoon.
This seemed like an outstanding idea to me, but my trusty sidekick had some doubts. What do you guys think?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you sure your transmission is bad? What makes you believe this? What are the symptoms?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm not sure which one is the "TOS bearing." Barring abuse, there is one part that usually goes bad in a D series manual transmission long before the rest of the unit is worn at all. That is the input shaft bearing on the end away from the engine. The symptom is noise idling in neutral that goes away when you press the clutch in.

That bearing is easy to replace. It is literally the first part you see after opening the case. There is no need to take the whole thing apart. The transmission does need to be removed from the car of course.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM

So I just seen ur post about the input shaft bearing. Thinking this is what's wrong with the tranny I just put in my 90 hatch. A lot of people tell me to just get a new tranny but sounds like u say just it can go bad and rest of the tranny be ok?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

Ron- I'm getting a whiring/grinding noise in 1st and 2nd, right around 1800rpm, and a really faint whiring noise when idling in neutral which goes away if I put the clutch in.

MK- I think we're referring to the same part, I may just be calling it the wrong thing. I know it's not tough once you get it off the car, but as long as I'm taking a transmission apart, I figure I might as well go full rebuild, and I'm trying to avoid that kind of downtime.

Youngbuck- hard to say if your problem is the same as mine, what are the symptoms? What series transmission is it? Like MK said, I know there is the one specific bearing that is prone to failure in the D series