Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic high mileage problems, HELP!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Default 2001 Honda Civic high mileage problems, HELP!

Hello everyone new member here, I'm trying to get into working on my car on my own and learn from you guys! I just bought the car last month it has about 156000 miles on it and have done the usual maintenance stuff, changed oil, changed transmission oil, spark plugs, valve adjustment. Now for the weird stuff that is happening that I have NO IDEA what it could be and would really appreciate any kind of input.

After driving for 3000 miles my oil was extremely low but not leaking. So I did another oil change MAYBE only a liter came out, so it was extremely low. What might be happening to the oil? Is the car just burning it all? If so what should I do to help prevent this?

The other problem I am having is a small vibrating noise that is noticeable when acceleration, that is why I did the valve adjustment TWICE and still it wont go away. I got some stuff from AutoZone that was suppose to reduce valve vibration but that didn't make any difference so I do not know what else to do to fix this problem.

Again any input would mean a lot thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 AM

Sounds like it's burning. Could be valve seals, more likely piston rings, but this all seems a bit much for a Honda with only 156k on it (it's a Honda engine, after all). Do a compression test.

I'm not sure about the vibrating noise.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the oil cap off and look inside for black sludge. It forms when the oil wasn't changed often enough, and it will cause the rings to fail about this time. Bad rings make smoke that gets worse when you floor the gas. Have someone follow you in another car and watch for it.

When your engine burns oil it is essential to check and add more periodically. Running out will of course cause immediate failure, and running with just a quart is very hard on that oil and will make sludge. Using a heavier oil such as 10W40 can reduce the burn rate. You don't need to worry about using a different from recommended oil now, because the engine is worn out anyway.

"Small vibrating noises" are par for a Civic. It was never intended to ride like a luxury car.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 AM

Hey guys thanks a lot for your input! Yeah I read to put a little thicker oil in so I did just throw 10w-30 to see what would happen. So will see if that helps! I'm hoping it's nothing major because I just bought this car to save money not to put in a quart of oil every two weeks. AHH!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM

I would be using 10W-30 anyway unless you live in a place that gets below 20 degrees.

...or if you drive a new Civic that calls for a 5w-20 or 0w-20.