Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Cruise control not working

Bought a 1993 Civic EX today, I asked the guy if the cruise control worked, and evidently he pulled the wool over my eyes on that. Any ideas what could be going wrong here?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Well, Does it have the Cruise control parts under the hood? Is there a swapped engine in it?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

Its got all the parts, and unless he swapped it with another Honda 4 cylinder, I think it should be stock.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 AM

check the switches on both the brake pedal arm and clutch pedal arm to see if the rubber grommet that pushes the switch button has broken off. Over time they become brittle and break off, leaving nothing to push the button on the switch and as a result the cruise control no longer works. Keep in mind that there are two switches on each pedal (well at least on the clutch there is... I think the brake is the same way... so make sure you check both).

If that fails, inspect the bulb in the cluster.

Are you sure you are engaging it properly? Turn the switch on the dashboard on, and then when you have reached your desired speed, press and hold the "set" button on the steering wheel for 1-2 seconds then release. The "cruise control" light in the gauge cluster should come on at that point indicating that speed has been set. It might take you a couple tries... sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get it set.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:03 AM
HCF Member

OK I see the problem. The guy I bought it from put on a after market brake pedal, one of those aluminum ricer pedals. There's no switches on them to be pushed.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The switch is up on the arm of the pedal; it's the same one that works the brake lights (do the brake lights work?). With the key on and the cruise master switch on, the gray wire should have power when the brake is not pressed, and it goes away when the brake is pressed.

On the clutch the lower switch is for the cruise control. The pink wire should be grounded when the clutch is not pressed.

Also check that the horn works, if not the "clock spring" connection to the steering wheel could be broken. That would also disable the cruise control buttons.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

I have an automatic transmission, don't they not have clutches?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by apoplectic1
I have an automatic transmission, don't they not have clutches?
Then only the lack of the brake pedal switch for the cruise control is the problem.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 AM
HCF Member

Switch is there and operational. I did come across this (large picture, linking to it instead): http://www.ohmster.com/~ohmster/pict...RS_Diagram.jpg

From the looks of this diagram it looks like if the light on the button doesn't work, the cruise control doesn't work (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not the most electronically inclined fellow).Does the light only come on when you have cruise control operating, or should it come on whenever the button is depressed? I've looked at all the wires and fuses, they seem to be fine, gonna get a voltmeter over the weekend just to be sure, but so far it looks to be either that, the vacuum lines, or the servo.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you press the main switch button, the button light should turn on (with key in ON(II)). If not, pop the switch out and test whether it receives battery voltage, whether the black ground wire has continuity to body ground, and whether the switch is bad.