Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

? front lower control arm bushing question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default ? front lower control arm bushing question?

can i remove the lower control arm by seperating the lower control arm? it looks like its in 2 pieces bolted together...
can you just unbolt the 2 bolts and pull the lower control arm bushing part out to put it on the press bench?
MAIN REASON FOR ASKING is im not sure if i would need a alignment if i screw with that rear bushing... ive done paid for 3 alignments on this car already and im tired of paying 70bucks each time....
im not sure if thats whats was throwing off my alignments CASTER or not, i do know the front end is poping at all different times and think its these bushings on the struts.

this is what my alignment sheet looked like when i got my first alignment...
second alignment sheet

third alignment sheet. done last after new outter tie rods
i think its odd how the caster has corrected itself... unless i got super lucky and when i spun around and bumped the curb and it counter bent the part straight.LOL
im hoping that this bushing that im gonna replace that it wont throw off the alignment i just got done afew weeks ago!

i just bought some new bushings and a swap bar link thats bent on my car im just waiting on the rubber pieces for the linkage, hopefully will come tomorow.
and ill replace the bushings tomorow night.

this is what the part looks like. im not gonna pull mine apart until i get my new rubber pieces as well for the swaybar.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: ? front lower control arm bushing question?

Replacing the lower control arm is not going to mess up your alignment. There's nothing in that piece that is adjustable...

Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

great thanks man! i really didnt want to pay for another alignment for this dam EG.LOL

now im just waiting on dealerships call to get the rest of my parts and ill go swap them out.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

I agree with MXS, changing the lower control arm SHOULD not affect your alignment. All alignments come with at least a 6month/6000mi warranty, and you can always get a free check almost anywhere. So put the new arm on, and go get it checked where you went before (if still within the warranty period). If it is out of spec, they will reset it for free. If your new arm is "new" and not used, they might notice the new arm, and they might say "well your warranty is up because you've replaced parts", but an honest reputable shop would still do it under warranty anyway.