Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Im a girl help!! 97 civic died suddenly while driving!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Unhappy Im a girl help!! 97 civic died suddenly while driving!!

My 97 honda civic has been running great, until the other day when the engine just stopped while driving...had to push it to the curb, have it towed home. The car is turning over just fine, has a brand new battery. Feels like it's not getting any gas??!! Also never noticed any hitching feeling prior to this incident, like when the fuel filter gets clogged. Car has 150K, and has to date not given me any real issues. No check engine light....I have read a bunch of stuff online and am really confused. Fuel filter, fuel pump, timing belt, coil......lol, please assist me with what to check first or in what order so I don't get ripped off........

Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

Check fuel pump first by listening for a faint whirring sound of your fuel pump when you turn the key ONE CLICK (not actually starting the car). That you can do.

If you hear it whirring you should have fuel, i doubt your filter could clogg that quickly. Next check for spark. They sell cheapo spark testers at autozone that look like a little pen and light up when you put it next to each spark plug wire coming out of the distributor on the left hand upper side of the engine. I'm betting you dont have spark and it's likely the coil, and less likely the ignitor. You can test each with a $10 ohmmeter.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM

thanks.......fuel pump is fine.......fuses are all fine.....gas is going thru the fuel filter...where is the coil located? having trouble finding any diagrams online......this is going to sound silly but in at least 5 yrs this civic has not had a tune up.....if i replace the distibutor, wires, spark plugs, rotor ect, will this solve my problem? have not tested for spark yet.........

Last edited by voodood7; 09-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Check for a broken timing belt. The easiest way to do this is to pop the hood, take the oil cap off, and have someone crank the engine while you look inside. (Don't have your face too close, lol.) You should see something moving inside. If you do, the timing belt is fine. From there, check for spark.

The easiest way to check for spark is to get a spare spark plug, pull one of the plug wires off, put the spare plug into the wire, and ground the edge of the plug to the metal on the valve cover. Then have a friend crank the engine. You should see a bright blue spark. Weak orange spark or no spark = ignition problem. From there, we would check the coil, rotor, cap, and ignition control module.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

Check timing belt first doing what Hobo said.

Ignition coil just went out on my sisters '98 civic with about the same mileage. If there's no spark and the distributor cap/rotor look ok that would be my next bet. Advance Auto had one for $50. Really easy to install.

Bad spark plugs/wires can make a car run like crap but usually won't prevent the car from running. All 4 plugs or wires would have to go bad at once, which never really happens. Saying that, I would at least replace your plugs unless you have the $$ for a full tune up.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM

i had almost the same problem i replaced just about everything then came to find out i had a clogged cat