Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jumpy idle and stall on cold weather start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
HCF Member
Default jumpy idle and stall on cold weather start

since the weather has gotten cold, my 97 crv (b20a) will start up fine, but the RPM's will spasm crazilly from 0-2000 usually resulting in it stalling. the spasms continue as I open the throttle up, and while the car is moving until the engine warms up. usually only after sitting overnight, and some mornings no problem at all.

I have cleaned the IACV, checked the TB and IM bolts, opened up the idle screw more, checked all the vacuum hoses, cleaned and tightened the FITV(yeah, it has one for some reason even though its a 97), swapped in a good battery, cleaned grounds and terminals, and replaced plug wires, plugs, pcv valve, and fuel filter.

oh, and there is no CEL

Any suggestions on other possible culprits?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
HCF Member

I have also tried bleeding the coolant, replacing 3 of the coolant temp sensors(if there are more, i couldnt find them) and finally blocking off the fitv completely with no results. Anybody have any ideas no matter how obscure?

I took it to my normal mechanic who just retapped a stripped bolt on the iacv and told me that was the problem(but it wasnt). Im about to take it to another guy, but i am doubtful he will know whats wrong either.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

in case anyone looks this up, the problem turned out to be the ICM (ignitor unit) inside the distributor. I replaced that(along with the wires connecting it to the ignition coil) and problem is completely fixed.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

Thank you for posting your solution +1