Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Knocking noise from transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Knocking noise from transmission?

It started about two weeks ago and i cant tell what it is. When i come to a stop and the car is at idle there is a ridiculous knocking noise coming from the engine area and it really sounds like its from the tranny. As soon as i get on the gass a little bit it goes away. Whats going on?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Knocking noise from transmission?

Does it go away when you push the clutch in? If so then it's not inside the transmission. I would suspect a motor mount has failed and as the motor shakes a little at idle it's metal on metal.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 AM
HCF Member

My car is automatic unfortunately. And ya it sounds like it could be that but im not sure. Its a pretty rapid clicking, knocking noise.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

Might be your hood. My hood makes a knocking noice every time i come to a stop because those little rubber supporters are worn out that there is a space between them and the hood. Try getting out the car when it making that noice and push down on the hood and if the noice goes away, then it's your hood.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

I dont think it would be that cuz when i put it in neutral it goes away. Only in drive and reverse.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

knocking noise..its your valves just ticking. Its common in ALL hondas. Pretty much if its not ticking its not running right. but ff it getsreally really bad and super loudhave someone that knows how to do it..check ur valves and all that junk to make sure your valve seals rn't cracked or broke or headgasket etc. It's not smoking is it? if its not then ur fine. All hondas tick "knock" some.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

It is very, very loud. I dont think it is valves becuase its too loud for that. It is only in drive or reverse and its not every time I idle but about 75% of the time it does it. The car is looking oil slightly from somewhere, and i havent been able to find where.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

BUMP! Noise seems to be getting worse. It is in all of the drive gears and in reverse and only at idle in those gears. Could it have anything to do with the oil leaking? Does this sound like a head gasket problem because when i was under my car this wknd it looked as if it was leaking oil from the head? Anyone?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Wow i'm glad to know now, that I am not the only one whose hood does that!!! That thing drives me crazy... Oh, and My is double bad, because my car was wrecked at some point in its life, and the hood was replaced, one of the hinges was damaged, so the hinge itself fits lose, so that rattles... makes my car sound like it has a diesel sometimes... Luckily it hasn't been doing that lately...

Also, I had a noise like that and it turned out to be that my two lower motor mounts, one on the bottom of the tranny and one on the bottom belt end of the engine, were both shot, which caused the engine to move to much, which then caused one of my exhaust hangers to break, and also one of the bolts on the exhaust manifold-down pipe broke... so the whole exhaust system rattled like crazy when I would stop, wound up replacing the mounts, and the exhaust section from the cat-muffler...

Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM

so heres what i have to say, if you have an aftermarket exhaust with stock or like stock bumpers, the exhaust can "knock" on the bottom of the bumper. this will result in a hollow thumping sound when the car is ideling. does the car sometimes make the sound when going over bumps to? if soo this may be ur problem. that or bad moter mounts. i had the same problem, u either have to shave and mold a new exhaust lip on your bumper or get an afermarket rear body kit with more exhaust clearance.