Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

y8 mini me gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Default y8 mini me gone wrong

Hey guys i just finished up doing a quick bearing roll in/ Rering on my 99 civic with the d16y7 that ran just fine but was burning oil. While i was doing all of this i swapped the y7 head with a y8 head and y8 intake manifold. I currently do not have any vtec wired up and I'm still running the factory y7 ecu so in theory not much has changed.

I did do a new timing belt and all new gaskets while i was in there and i just got it in the car 2 days ago. I had an issue with the crank position sensor but i have since fixed that and there are no engine codes. I have followed manufacture spec for everything I've done and I've checked, and double checked the timing belt. I got the car running the first day but was having some idle surge issues that i figured was the IACV, I've replaced that and got it running pretty good but it still didn't want to start. The next day i came out and could get it started at all, i had to move the distributor to the other extreme of its adjustment range and got it to fire again (was waiting on a timing light to confirm and adjust accordingly) and had no problems revving it and it was running smooth. My timing light showed up today and now i cant get it to start at all, and still no active codes.

What the hell could i be missing!? this is driving me nuts and its got to be something small since i have gotten it running multiple times and now it wont even cough, but i can confirm all spark plugs are arcing, and all injectors are firing.

Thank you in advance guys this is really kicking my ***

Old 07-24-2019, 05:38 AM

I'm 10 days late, but when adjusting the ignition timing by rotating the distributor, did you have a jumper on the service pin so the ECU would calibrate?