Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

wheel spacers for HX rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
HCF Member
Default wheel spacers for HX rims?

I got a set of hx's, and it looks like they clear my calipers, but when i drive, there is a loud obvious grindish-thumping in time with the rotations, so im assuming they dont clear. the rims looked fine to me.

I have heard that wheel spacers can be dangerous, but if I used only 3mm spacers would there really be much risk of anything breaking because they are so small?

I dont have the tools to shave the calipers, and even if i did, I cannot tell where they are rubbing, they look good to me. dont know what else the problem could be. I didnt check the air yet, one looks a little deflated maybe.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if it does the on and off grinding then your rims must be bent all up to a oval shape!!!!

i doubt its your rims rubben... what size is your HX wheels? 13s or 14s? if they are 14s im sure its not the rims but if they are 13s then ya thats the problem. but im pretty sure the hx wheels are 14s and the cx wheels are 13s.

jack your car up and simply spin the wheels, or just take off every wheel and look for any grinding/rubbing marks on the rims or calipers or any other suspension parts...

the thumping with every rotation should be a easy problem to see....
and if your wheel is bent that bad then i would simply rotate the wheels. the rear brakes are smaller so they shouldnt hit the brakes back there as easy.... worth a shot but if the wheels bent that bad i dont see how they would drive and not shake you off the road!

and if you pull the wheels off you might want to try pulling back and forth on your rotors. maybe your axle nuts backed off or wheel bearings getting loose allowing some wobble.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

they are 14'' There are no wear marks, the weels spin ok, and I took them all on and off twice trying to see which wheel was the problem(couldnt tell).

I see nothing wrong with the rims, although the tires looked good to me, I have a feeling one of them is out of round, because the more I hear the noise, its a bump moreso than a grinding. Is there any fixing this, or would i need a new tire?

Last edited by MaximusFunk; 08-14-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

have you rotated the wheels front to back?

its not to hard to find out if the tire are out of ballance.... on some smooth flat concrete or what ever give them a slow roll.
but if a tire is out of round... well you can always have alittle fun in a back lot paved and some tire shine or what ever and spray down the tire thread and the road spot and.. well lite up the tire and let em burn for a bit smoking away.... and after you lite em up take em for a little drive to keep the tires round... dont just lite em up and then park the car and let the tires cool otherwise that will give you a flat spot.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
June 2010 ROTM

You have two options to get 14" HX wheels to fit.

1: You can grind down the caliper bracket until the wheel clears properly.
2: Get spacers and extended lug bolts.

The calipers on the HX civics are slightly smaller than that of the EXs and such. I found a DIY on H-T for grinding down the calipers, it works.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
HCF Member

Yeah the Hx has smaller front brakes than the Lx and Ex. The Cx Dx and Hx have smaller front brakes.