Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

cracked exhaust manifold? should i stop driving it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 AM
HCF Member
Default cracked exhaust manifold? should i stop driving it?

hi,

so i noticed a crack in my exhaust manifold on the lower part (not the pieces running to the head). the crack is basically on the part that the o2 sensor connects to and it runs right to the o2 sensor. my question is if i continue to drive this will it have a negative effect on my engine?

i've heard it can burn valves. is this true. the crack isn't that wide...probably could barely fit a sheet of paper in it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 AM

I assume you do not have a EX model? If that is true, a crack in the OEM manifold is common. It may throw a CEL later on if the crack gets worse, but you should be fine with it for the time being. Also, if a mechanic sees it, you may fail inspection/emissions depending on the inspection laws.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I assume you do not have a EX model? If that is true, a crack in the OEM manifold is common. It may throw a CEL later on if the crack gets worse, but you should be fine with it for the time being. Also, if a mechanic sees it, you may fail inspection/emissions depending on the inspection laws.
i've noticed that when i start it up there's this *WOOSH* sound and then ticking. i assume that's the crack in the manifold.

do you think i could be in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning? wouldn't i smell the exhaust if i was? I don't smell anything abnormal.

also i can hear the engine roar when i drive...it's not that bad tho

Last edited by briceman124; 01-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM

Every single 96-00 exhaust manifold will crack there.

I put an aftermarket replacement on but it started throwing a CEL so I'm about to put the cracked one back on. I doubt that it will leak out enough carbon monoxide to hurt you.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Every single 96-00 exhaust manifold will crack there.

I put an aftermarket replacement on but it started throwing a CEL so I'm about to put the cracked one back on. I doubt that it will leak out enough carbon monoxide to hurt you.
dang...throws a CEL? what aftermarket brand did you use?

i was thinking of using permatex weld to seal up that crack but it goes to the o2 sensor so i don't know how effective that would be.

could a cracked manifold cause poor acceleration?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM

I used a Dorman manifold. It's throwing a CEL saying the catalytic converter is operating below the threshold. (Likely because an aftermarket one has less platinum in it.)

Weld it up, just make sure you don't damage the threads on the o2 sensor hole. I was going to get mine welded at some point.

About poor acceleration... Maybe? If it's leaking exhaust from the crack, it might throw off the o2 sensor readings which might tell the computer to change the air/fuel ratio.